Det tenkende klasserom
Konferanse i Australia, 2. juni
Oyvind (Administrator) #1
Brukertittel: Dixi et liberavi
Medlem siden Jul 2005 · 813 innlegg · Sted: Eidsvoll
Gruppemedlemskap: Administrators, Members
Vis profil · Lenke til dette innlegget
Emne: Det tenkende klasserom
Kan filosofisk praksis være til hjelp for elever med "educational disadvantage"? Jeg er litt usikker på hva som menes med "educational disadvantage", mener man lav IQ, trøblete sosial bakgrunn eller medisinske diagnoser? Eller refererer det simpelthen til alt som gjør at eleven ikke lærer like godt/raskt som andre elever? Uansett, dette er temaet for en dagskonferanse som går av stabelen 2. juni 2012 i Melbourne, Australia. Under er beskrivelser av fire presentasjoner på denne konferansen. For oss som ikke kan delta er dette interessant lesning, ikke minst Phil Cams tre grunner for at filosofisk samtale kan hjelpe elever med "educational disadvantage": 1) samtalen stimulerer elevenes engasjement, 2) den legger vekt på at elevene skal tenke selv, og 3) den skaper tilhørighet.

The Thoughtful Classroom: Teaching to Overcome Educational Disadvantage

Date: 2 June 2012

Venue: Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne, 234 Queensberry St

http://fapsa.org.au/conference/the-thoughtful-classroom/

Abstracts

Tom Wartenberg: Philosophy as a Tool for Ameliorating Educational Disadvantage
My presentation focuses upon my experience working in a primary (elementary) school in Springfield, Massachusetts, USA. My university students teach a seven week “Introduction to Philosophy Course” to children to seven and eight year old students all of whom are Hispanic and African American and from impoverished backgrounds. After explaining my approach to teaching philosophy, one that is based upon using children’s picture books as prompts for philosophical discussions, I present a range of benefits that accrue to the children from their engagement with philosophy. The presentation will include some video clips.

Ron Ritchhart: Demystifying Thinking: Helping All Students Learn How to Learn
Educational disadvantage impacts an individual’s engagement in school and general readiness to learn, reducing a student’s development of self-efficacy toward learning and future aspirations associated with education. By demystifying the thinking process, drawing on students’ natural inclination toward sense making, and offering providing models of intellectual engagement, teachers can help all students learn how to learn. A classroom focus on ideas and thinking, rather than achievement of the quick right answer, changes the dynamics of the classroom so as to create a community of inquiry and truly thoughtful classroom space. Drawing on the past twelve years of research into making thinking visible and creating classroom cultures of thinking, Ron Ritchhart will share strategies that engage learners in active meaning making while scaffolding the thinking process and making it more visible to all.

Lynne Hinton: The Thoughtful School
How does the school itself contribute to or perpetuate the notion of educational disadvantage? This presentation suggests that the most important job of schools is to teach children to think well, thereby enabling them to make good judgements and question issues that relate to their lives and the lives of others. How this was achieved at one school through engagement in philosophy over a period of 14 years, is described. Current work being undertaken at Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane is also outlined.

Phil Cam: Educational Disadvantage and the Community of Inquiry
In dealing with educational disadvantage, teachers need to try to bridge the gap between the educationally disadvantaged student’s out-of-school life-world and the one they encounter at school. This talk looks at the ways in which the classroom Community of Inquiry can assist in this process. After suggesting that there are more and less productive ways for teachers to think about educational disadvantage and its connection to the Community of Inquiry, we will examine evidence for thinking that the Community of Inquiry can help us to deal with educational disadvantage. Following this, we will explore three prominent features of the Community of Inquiry that also give us reason to believe that it can be effective in dealing with educational disadvantage. These are its capacity to stimulate student engagement, its emphasis on learning to think for yourself, and its ability to generate a sense of belonging.
Lukk Mindre – Større + Svar på dette innlegget:
Verifikasjonskode: VeriCode Skriv inn ordet du ser på bildet i tekstfeltet under. (Bare skriv inn bokstavene, små bokstaver er greit.)
Uttrykksikoner: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Spesielle tegn:
Gå til forum
Ikke logget inn. · Glemt passordet · Registrer
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Tid: 2017-09-21, 10:41:46 (UTC +02:00)